Friends of the Earth International’s secretariat in Amsterdam is looking for a:
Communications Officer – Content Writer/Editor – 80%
Friends of the Earth International (FoEI) is the world’s largest grassroots environmental federation with 75 autonomous member groups around the world. FoEI aims to ensure that the struggles and experiences of local communities – especially those most affected by unsustainable development – are brought to bear on policies and practices at national and international levels. We focus on four program areas: climate justice and energy, forests and biodiversity, food sovereignty, and economic justice. Our vision is of a peaceful and sustainable world based on societies living in harmony with nature.
FoEI’s decentralized and democratic structure allows all member groups to participate in decision-making. We are governed by our member groups, which are organized in regional structures and come together every two years to vote on issues facing the federation. Between meetings governance is provided by an elected Executive Committee made up of representatives from our groups. A small International Secretariat, which coordinates communications work for the federation, is based in Amsterdam.
FoEI is seeking to add to its communications team, which currently consists of a Communications Coordinator, Media Coordinator and a Technical Coordinator. The Communications Officer will be responsible for editing and uploading content to the FoEI website, working with the communications team on improving existing content, writing op-eds, sourcing images, coordinating the translation of content, promoting content on social media and around the federation. As a member of a small team, the Communications Officer will also be expected to help out with other communications tasks from time to time (to cover holidays and heavy workloads). This may include, editing or writing press releases and sending them out and managing communications requests. The role will entail some evening and weekend work.
- Create, write, proofread, and edit communications products (blog posts, news stories, op-eds/opinion pieces, case studies, social media posts);
- Create social media distribution plans, design, write and execute these plans for all content;
- Identify and implement distribution strategies (including social media and occasionally op-ed distribution) for these products;
- Support communications aspect of rapid response work;
- As part of the communications team, contribute to communications strategy development for our program areas – climate justice and energy, forests and biodiversity, food sovereignty and economic justice;
- Manage the production of the FoEI annual review from content sourcing, editing through to print.
- At least two years’ experience in a similar position;
- Excellent written English and proofreading and editing skills (including researching and extracting good content from reports, campaign materials or external sources);
- Ability to use content management systems (FoEI uses WordPress) to post content;
- Understanding of and experience with content distribution;
- Knowledge of and experience using social media, in particular Twitter and Facebook, for media work and advocacy;
- Knowledge of trends and tools for digital storytelling and content marketing;
- Basic analytics skills – such as using Google Analytics and social media monitoring tools to identify high performing content and lesson learning;
- Knowledge of and experience with SEO for content performance;
- Affinity with Friends of the Earth International’s vision and mission;
- Ability to work in collaborative decision-making processes in a global, decentralized environment.
- Experience with communications strategy and tools for political and mobilization purposes;
- Ability to research, understand and use new tools (for example CMS, databases);
- Expertise in a related field, such as:
- Graphic design: basic use of photoshop and/or Indesign to produce basic social media visuals
- Image sourcing and basic image resizing and retouching
- Video editing or production
- Publications management
- Audience research
- Fluency in Spanish or French would be highly beneficial.
What FoEI offers:
- We offer an opportunity to contribute to a better world and work for an inspiring international and culturally diverse network in an office with a small friendly team at a great location in Amsterdam.
- Full time salary between € 3,068 and € 3,611 monthly depending on experience and qualifications.
- Contract duration: 6 months initially, to be renewed upon positive performance evaluation.
- Participation in collective pension arrangement compulsory.
Please send your letter and CV before 22 January 2018 to Brigitte Ligtvoet.
E-mail: vacancies[at]foei.org with ”Communications Officer” in the subject field.
Interviews will be held in the week of 12 February 2018.
Friends of the Earth International is an equal opportunities employer and committed to building a culturally diverse staff. We encourage applications from people currently under-represented in the environmental justice movement, and particularly in senior positions, including: women; people of any ethnic, social and religious background; people living with disability; lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.