Here's where we share our ideas on sustainable living. We'd love to hear your ideas too. If there's something you'd like to share with us then please inspire us by clicking on one of the 'send us' links on the left and write down your idea in an email.
Don't shop; swap!
Your wardrobe is bursting at the hinges with clothes you never wear, but you still find the sales irresistible. Sound familiar?
Rather than spending hours (not to mention plenty of your hard-earned cash) shopping for new clothes, why not invite your friends round for a new-year clothes swap?
A clothes swap can combine a fun social event with saving money and avoiding needless waste. There’s no catch!
Here are some tips to start you off:
- Have a rummage through your wardrobe and pick out any items you haven’t worn for a year – and ask friends to do the same and bring them along.
- Make a full evening of it; ask friends to bring a drink/a small something to eat
- Put aside a room for trying on outfits, and remember to dig out some mirrors so people can see what they’re (not) buying
- Encourage your friends to bring their friends (= an even bigger pool of clothes to choose from!)
- Don’t forget accessories (jewellery, shoes, scarves, belts, sunglasses, ties…)
- Why not organise seasonal or themed clothes swaps? (a summer / winter / baby special)
- Or turn the evening into a fundraiser for your favourite good causes by charging a small amount for each item
- When the party’s over, take any leftover items to your nearest charity shop/drop-off point.