The Colombian government responds to cyberactivists
The human rights and international law programme of the presidency of the republic of Colombia received on 19 Feb 2011 the news of the disappearance of the citizen Sandra Viviana Cuellar Gallego in the city of Santiago de Cali. The programme acted in the following way to find Cuellar:
1. It was requested immediately to the Head of the human rights division of the Attorney General his intervention to initiate the search and prevent the disappearance of Cuellar. The entity initiated the "Mechanism of Urgent Search" on 21 February.
2. The National Police were informed of the disappearance of Cuellar, requesting a search for the individual. Orders were given for the search of Cuellar in Cali. One official and various other staff with specialization in this area started the search the same day. The Programme is in contact contact with the Police to monitor the developments.
3. Communications were established with the National Institute of Legal Medicine and Forensic Sciences and it was requested to verify and revise the case within the technological platforms of the National Register of Missing People, with the aim to search as much information as possible on Cuellar. With this petition, it was possible to gain contact again with the father of the missing individual, who provided more information, which allows a higher number of ways to identify Cuellar.
Additionally, it was requested to the State Forensic Institute of Colombia to widen the process of technical search to the northern and central zones of the area of Valle de Cauca and the regions of Quindio and Risaralda.
4. Up until now, the technical and scientific results of the corpses in the National Institute of Legal Medicine and Forensic Sciences done nationally are negative.
5. On 23 January, in an ordinary session of the National Commission of Search of Missing People, the Presidential Programme requested the coordination of activities of the Fiscal number 71 on Human Rights of the city of Cali, whose role is to act through the Mechanism of Urgent Search (law 971 of 2005), the coordination at a national level.
Additionally, it was requested to the members of the Commission with legal and constitutional competencies, to do as much as possible to find where Sandra Viviana Cuellar Gallego is as soon as possible.
We will keep you updated on developments including the response from Friends of the Earth Colombia.