the people’s voices: mobilizations in cancun
Domingo Lechon from Friends of the Earth Mexico, one of the organizers of the mobilizations, said: “It is important that the parties who spend every day at the official negotiations also listen to the people on the streets who suffer from climate change in their daily lives. We want to provide a counter-balance to negative proposals and the unequal power relations due to corporate power in the negotiations. That is why we have arranged for thousands to come to Cancun, and we will make sure that their voices are heard.”
In Cancun, Friends of the Earth International works together with strategic allies and like-minded organizations. This week, Friends of the Earth members from all over the world engaged in the discussions at the South-South Summit on Climate Justice and Finance, organized by Jubilee South, the Pan Africa Justice Alliance (PACJA) and Friends of the Earth groups from Latin America, that will end on December 5.
As of yesterday, caravans from all over the world are arriving to Cancun with thousands of people who will engage in the mobilizations and stay at the Peasant and Indigenous camp in Cancun, hosted by La Via Campesina and Friends of the Earth International.
Several activities are planned in Cancun for the upcoming days in which Friends of the Earth International will be engaged:
- The Global Forum for Life and Environmental Justice, organized by La Via Campesina, the National Assembly of People Affected by the Environment, the Movement of National Liberation, the Mexican Union of Electricians and supported by Friends of the Earth International, 5-10 December. Opening ceremony: Saturday December 4, 9 AM
- March for Life and Climate Justice, organized by La Via Campesina, Sunday December 5, 10 AM, from La Via Campesina Camp to Plaza de la Reforma (Tulum Av.), downtown Cancún. Friends of the Earth International joins this march of Indigenous Peoples and communities affected by climate change who will show the people in Cancún why they are here and what they will be doing the coming days.
- The International Climate Justice Forum - People’s Dialogue, organized by Climate dialogue – Mexican Space, 5-10 December. Opening ceremony: Sunday 5 December, 9 AM
- Thousands of Cancuns, a joint mobilisation called by La Via Campesina, the World March of Women and Friends of the Earth International, will take place on the streets of Cancun on Tuesday December 7, and in countries all over the world. The aim of this call is to amplify the climate justice movement by organizing thousands of protests and actions to reject false solutions.
- Global day of action against the World Bank, Wednesday December 8
Friends of the Earth International supports the inclusion in the climate negotiating texts of proposals introduced by Bolivia, as a result of the Cochabamba Accord. The demands for a rejection of carbon trading and in support of community rights (climate justice tribunals and referenda) must be supported by all parties as a legitimate and progressive development in the UN negotiations.
La Vía Campesina Peasant and Indigenous camp: Unidad Deportiva “Jacinto Canek,” crossing Tulum Av. with Chichen Itza Av., downtown Cancún.
Global Forum for Life and Environmental Justice: Unidad Deportiva “Jacinto Canek,” crossing Tulum Av. with Chichen Itza Av., downtown Cancún
International Climate Justice Forum - People’s Dialogue: In and around Casa de Cultura, SM21, downtown Cancún
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Marlijn Dingshoff, Friends of the Earth International media coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, +52 (+1 for outside Mexico) 998 108 03 78 or +31651005630 (Dutch mobile)
Hector de Prado, Friends of the Earth International coordinator Cancún mobilizations: email@example.com +52 (+1 for outside Mexico)