international photo competition and calendar 2008
The competition brought in more than 600 photos from 62 countries around the world, from amateur and professional photographers ranging in age from 10 to 67 year old. Our panel of judges included many high-profile photographers and some of our own campaigners:
- Yann Arthus-Bertrand, world renowned aerial photographer of the planet's ecosystems;
- Peter Menzel, author of "Hungry Planet: What The World Eats";
- Bangladeshi photographer G.M.B. Akash, first-place winner of the 2006 photo competition;
- Akintunde Akinleye, first-place winner World Press Photo 2007 in "Spot News" category, from Nigeria;
- Daniel Beltrá, Seattle-based Spanish environmental and nature photography specialist and winner of the 2007 World Press Photo prize for his work on soy plantations and Amazon deforestation;
- Indian photographer Shantanu Das, first-place winner of the 2008 Friends of the Earth International photo competition.
- Judy Pasimio from Friends of the Earth Philippines
- Oscar Rivas from FoE Paraguay
- Zenabu Sakibu from FoE Ghana
- Bente Hessellund Andersen from FoE Denmark
The winning photos were profiled in our trilingual wall calendar, which was distributed through our member groups and through retailers. The winning photos can be viewed on the FoEI website. You can also read interviews with some of the winning photographers from around the world on these pages.
with thanks to our funders: oxfam novib