It is essential that we build global food systems based on diverse, localised agricultural solutions. People should be allowed to determine and control their own food systems. This form of agriculture also helps communities become more resilient to climate change. Friends of the earth International supports small scale peasant farmers in resisting the corporate powers that destroy their livelihoods and bring hunger and conflict to their communities. We help build bridges between people and their food; between those who produce and those who consume food.
Find out more about what we're doing to promote food sovereignty
Promoting the destruction of peasant and family farming?
Find out more >
- Organic farming dwarves GM crops in Europe as public rejection hits biotech firms
- Public resistance to genetically modified crops has ensured that the area grown in Europe in 2011 remained at 0.1 per cent of all arable land, shows figures released by Friends of the Earth Europe. In comparison, organic farming accounted for 3.7 per cent.
- GM giant BASF leaves Europe
- Friends of the Earth International is delighted to hear that Germany-based BASF is halting the development and commercialisation of genetically modified (GM) crops in Europe.
- European banks fuelling food price volatility and hunger
- European banks, pension funds and insurance companies are increasing global hunger and poverty by speculating on food prices and financing land grabs in poorer countries, according to a report by Friends of the Earth Europe.