GMOs, Free Trade and the WTO
The US government is engaged in a legal dispute aimed at forcing the EU and the rest of the world to lift restrictions on GM food and farming.
gmo trade war
To force GMO products into global markets, George Bush has filed a legal dispute at the WTO, accusing the European Union of blocking trade by restricting GMOs. If successful, not only will the EU have to accept genetically modified food and farming but so will the rest of the world.
read more about gmo in our publications:
- bite back! hands of our food: the GMO trade war between the european union and the united states
foe europe briefing (nov 2003)
- pushing gmos down our throats: us government, agribusiness and wto launch food fight with Europe excerpt from business rules: who pays the price (sep 2003)
- bite back!: wto hands off our food
gmos and free trade
- fertile resistance in agrobiodiversity: local communities defending agrobiodiversity against gmos and agrobusiness (august 2002)
- contaminated corn in mexico: excerpt from business rules: who pays the price (sep 2003)
- biosafety protocol: foei gmo campaign page
- contaminated food aid: foei gmo campaign page