CEIBA was founded in 1993, on 3rd May and obtained legal status as a Civil Association in 1995. Its objectives are:
- To improve living conditions for the poor;
- To favor integral and participative development of peasant and urban communities within the country;
- To provide technical assistance and support to developing, self-managed and communitarian improvement projects;
- To promote education, formation and integral capacity building.
There is a tree in Guatemala which is sacred for the Maya People: There is a tradition of growing one Ceiba tree in the center of the community. As time goes by, the Ceiba tree grows and under its shadow our people group to discuss community issues and share news. The Ceiba tree shelters voyageurs, and friends can talk about their hopes, dreams and worries under its branches.
The Ceiba tree represents what we try to support, the meeting and exchange of ideas within our communities, respect for traditions, integration of nature and our environment.
Our work consist in stimulating local development actions within the following cities in Guatemala :
- Huehuetenango, at the north-east at the borderline with México.
- The following municipalities: Colotenango, San Pedro Necta, Santiago Chimaltenango, San Juan Atitán, San Gaspar Ixchil, Cuilco, La Democracia, Nentón, San Mateo Ixtatán, Barillas.
- At Retalhuleu, at the South coast of the country, and at Champerico municipality.
- At Soloá at the initial coast of the country. At Santa Catarina, Nahuala and Sololá municipalities.