Friends of the Earth International’s Secretariat in Amsterdam is looking for a:
Knowledge Management Officer – 80 %
Friends of the Earth International (FoEI) is the world’s largest grassroots environmental federation with 75 autonomous member groups around the world. FoEI aims to ensure that the struggles and experiences of local communities – especially those most affected by unsustainable development – are brought to bear on policies and practices at national and international levels. We focus on four program areas: climate justice and energy, forests and biodiversity, food sovereignty, and economic justice. Our vision is of a peaceful and sustainable world based on societies living in harmony with nature.
FoEI’s decentralized and democratic structure allows all member groups to participate in decision-making. We are governed by our member groups, which are organized in regional structures and come together every two years to vote on issues facing the federation. Between meetings governance is provided by an elected Executive Committee made up of representatives from our groups. A small International Secretariat, which coordinates communications work for the federation, is based in Amsterdam.
FoEI is currently seeking a Knowledge Management Officer (KMO). The KMO will be based in Amsterdam and will be part of a global team that coordinates the overall implementation of FoEI’s membership development strategy. The KMO will support the organizational strengthening and network engagement of FoEI’s 75 member groups, as well as support the strengthening of regional structures and cross-regional learning among member groups in Africa, Asia-Pacific, Europe and the Americas. The KMO will also help to ensure international programs have relevant and up-to-date information about the work of member groups, and viceversa. The KMO will work to synthesize and make shareable the knowledge, skills and expertise already within the network for politically aligned and effective campaign engagement The KMO will be accountable to the International Membership Development Coordinator.
- Work with national member organizations, regional and international structures to deliver FoEI´s strategic objectives related to organizational learning and political education;
- Work with national member organizations, regional and international structures to develop and implement tools and processes to ensure efficient and strategic knowledge-exchange across FoEI´s global federation;
- Liaise with program, membership and communications teams to develop a broad range of internal communications materials aimed at improving and innovating knowledge-sharing and learning across the federation;
- Maintain and further develop FoEI´s central database and other relevant digital platforms, including coordinating content management, (mapping informaiton, population, editing, organization of translation), and training of FoE staff to use these platforms;
- Support FoEI’s urgent action response work for international solidarity and environmental justice activists at risk.
- Strong commitment to the mission, vision, values and objectives of Friends of the Earth International;
- At least three years of experience in managing international or multinational projects;
- At least three years of experience in facilitating knowledge-sharing across diverse contexts, locally and/or internationally;
- At least three years of experience in working to manage/develop databases and digital platforms;
- Experience using digital tools to create visuals, presentations, webinars, etc.
- Excellent strategic and analytic thinking and planning skills, with experience in applying these in a complex and shifting international context;
- Proven writing skills; ability to synthesize and distribute information quickly;
- Strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work in collaborative decision-making processes in a global, decentralized environment and to manage and prioritize a variety of key initiatives concurrently;
- Excellent English language skills; fluency in at least 1 other language, especially of relevance: Spanish, French, Arabic, Korean, Russian, Portuguese or Bahasa Indonesia;
- Permission to work in EU required.
- Candidates from the ‘global south´ with a work permit for the EU are encouraged to apply.
What FoEI offers:
- We offer an opportunity to contribute to a better world and work for an inspiring international and culturally diverse network in an office with a small friendly team at a great location in Amsterdam.
- Full time salary between € 3,068 and € 3,326 monthly depending on experience and qualifications.
- Contract duration: 6 months initially, to be renewed upon positive performance evaluation.
- Participation in collective pension arrangement compulsory.
Please send your letter and CV before 29 January 2018 to Brigitte Ligtvoet.
E-mail: vacancies[at]foei.org with ”Knowledge Management Officer” in the subject field.
Interviews will be held in the week of 19 February 2018.
Friends of the Earth International is an equal opportunities employer and committed to building a culturally diverse staff. We encourage applications from people currently under-represented in the environmental justice movement, and particularly in senior positions, including: women; people of any ethnic, social and religious background; people living with disability; lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.