You are here:
Friends of the Earth International's secretariat in Amsterdam is looking for an:
International Programs Officer - Climate & Economic Justice 80 %
Friends of the Earth International (FoEI) is seeking an International Programs Officer to work closely with two of FoEI's international programs: Climate Justice and Energy (CJE) and Economic Justice/Resisting Neoliberalism (EJRN). The International Programs Officer will be part of a small team, led by FoEI's International Programs Facilitator, that supports implementation of program activities and facilitates the planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning of the programs.
FoEI's international programs engage national member groups from around the world in a variety of strategies to achieve international policy and mobilization goals. In the coming period CJE and EJRN program priorities include: contributing to the transformation of energy systems from those focused on dirty energy to systems for community-controlled renewable energy, challenging unjust trade and investment agreements, and the establishment of a binding legal framework on multinational corporations and human rights.
The programs are coordinated by International Program Coordinators (IPCs) who are based in FoEI member groups around the world. Each FoEI program works closely with a steering group made up of member group representatives from across FoEI's geographical regions, who help oversee the day-to-day work of the program. The International Programs Officer will also work closely with the IPCs and steering group members.
These programs are funded through the Fair, Green and Global (FGG) alliance, which is funded by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, as well as other funders. The International Programs Officer will engage in FGG processes and with other funders as needed on behalf of FoEI.
- Work with the IPCs to support implementation of program activities, including trainings, program meetings, development of communications materials and lobby and advocacy efforts.
- Support the process of funding national member group work included in the program plans, including monitoring the work;
- Monitor the budget for the program activities, track expenses and follow up with IPCs, member groups, consultants and suppliers as needed;
- Support and improve the planning, monitoring, evaluation, learning and reporting processes for the two programs;
- Work with the IPF and IPCs to ensure compliance with the requirements of the program's funders, including development of gender-focused outcomes, monitoring of program plans, and narrative reporting on program outcomes and lessons learned;
- Ensure that program reporting is up-to-date in FoEI’s (internal) Information Management System and in the (external) IATI reporting tool;
- Represent FoEI in the FGG alliance and in other funding processes, including taking part in discussions and activities related to planning, reporting, evaluation and learning.
- At least three years of experience in managing international or multinational projects, including experience with the planning, monitoring, evaluation, learning and reporting cycles;
- Affinity with the mission, vision, values and objectives of Friends of the Earth International, as well as with a theory of change that includes movement building strategies as well as advocacy strategies;
- Excellent strategic thinking and planning skills, with experience in applying these in a complex and shifting international context;
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and organizational skills;
- Proven writing skills; ability to summarize and distribute information quickly and succinctly;
- Strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work in collaborative decision-making processes in a global, decentralized environment and to manage and prioritize a variety of key initiatives concurrently;
- Experience working on lobby and advocacy campaigns and movement building tactics and strategies focused on environmental or social justice objectives (including addressing gender inequalities) would be an advantage;
- Excellent English language skills; fluency in Spanish or French would be a strong advantage. Ability to work in Dutch would also be an advantage;
- Permission to work in EU required; no relocation package offered.
What FoEI offers:
- We offer an opportunity to contribute to a better world and work for an inspiring international and culturally diverse network in an office with a small friendly team at a great location in Amsterdam.
- Full time salary between € 3,183 and € 3,558 monthly depending on experience and qualifications.
- Contract duration: 1 year initially, to be renewed upon positive performance evaluation.
- Participation in collective pension arrangement compulsory.
Please send your letter and CV before 13 October 2017 to Wieke Wagenaar.
E-mail: vacancies[at]foei.org with ''International Programs Officer'' in the subject field.
Interviews will be held in the week of 30 October.
This is a second call for this position. Applicants who applied in the first round do not need to re-apply.
Friends of the Earth International is an equal opportunities employer and committed to building a culturally diverse staff. We encourage applications from people currently under-represented in the environmental justice movement, and particularly in senior positions, including: women; people of any ethnic, social and religious background; people living with disability; lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.