Friends of the Earth International (FoEI) is looking for a
COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR (CC) – full time
to start as soon as possible.
About Friends of the Earth International
Friends of the Earth International (FoEI) is the world’s largest grassroots environmental federation with 75 autonomous member groups around the world. FoEI aims to ensure that the struggles and experiences of local communities – especially those most affected by unsustainable development – are brought to bear on policies and practices at national and international levels. We focus on five program areas: climate justice and energy, forests and biodiversity, food sovereignty, extractive industries and economic justice. Our vision is of a peaceful and sustainable world based on societies living in harmony with nature.
FoEI’s decentralized and democratic structure allows all member groups to participate in decision-making. We are governed by our member groups, which are organized in regional structures and come together every two years to vote on issues facing the federation. Between meetings governance is provided by an elected Executive Committee made up of representatives from our groups. A small International Secretariat is based in Amsterdam.
The FoEI Communications Coordinator (CC) is based in FoEI’s International Secretariat (IS) in Amsterdam and reports to FoEI’s International Coordinator. The CC works to develop and implement FoEI’s communications strategies and helps ensure the integration of communications planning into FoEI’s international programs and activities. FoEI’s overall communications work serves several objectives, including reaching targeted audiences and influencing public opinion, but also contributing to movement building and strengthening FoEI’s alliances.
The CC is part of the IS management team and leads a small team of communications professionals, including a Media Coordinator, a Website and E-Communications Editor and a Technical Support Facilitator. The CC also works with communicators based in FoEI member groups around the world and with the staff of Radio Mundo Real/Real World Radio, FoEI’s multilingual web-based radio station (based in Uruguay). The CC also works in close co-operation with FoEI’s International Program Coordinators and Executive Committe2nd calle.
- Lead the development and implementation of annual and long-term communications strategies for FoEI programs and activities;
- Lead the communications team at the IS and serve as part of the International Secretariat’s Management Team;
- Ensure that FoEI and FoEI international programs have communications strategies and a communications perspective incorporated in their work;
- Track and report on annual and long-term communications goals;
- Ensure effective cooperation between Amsterdam-based team and FoEI’s International Program Coordinators;
- Help facilitate member groups’ participation in FoEI’s communications;
- Ensure production of FoEI materials, including program publications and an annual report;
- Create internal communications strategies and products to help build awareness and understanding of FoEI within the federation;
- Build awareness of FoEI’s mission, vision and values with the general public and target audiences.
- Work with the staff of Radio Mundo Real/Real World Radio to develop annual and long-term strategies for the radio within the federation and with target audiences;
- Plan and oversee annual communications budgets;
- Contribute to fundraising efforts for communications and reporting to funding agencies and ensure that fundraising is integrated into communications strategies.
- At least three years’ experience as a senior level communicator in a multicultural and international environment, with a proven track record in setting up and implementing communications strategies for network organisations;
- Demonstrated track record working with a variety of traditional and new/digital communications tools (press/media, publications, radio, social media, alternative media, etc.) to deliver integrated communications and reach target audiences;
- Highly collaborative style and a strong track record as an implementer;
- Relationship builder with flexibility, strong interpersonal, inter-cultural and organisational skills;
- Experience with managing a team and with project and budget management;
- Ability to work in collaborative decision-making processes in a global, decentralised environment and an ability to manage a variety of key initiatives concurrently;
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills; fluency in Spanish would be an advantage;
- Strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines and prioritize a demanding workload appropriately;
- Stress-resistant and flexible, with the willingness and ability to travel (overseas) approximately one or two times per year;
- Strong commitment to social justice and FoEI’s vision and mission.
What FoEI offers
An opportunity to contribute to a better world and work for an inspiring international and culturally diverse network. An office with a small friendly team at a great location in Amsterdam.
Contract duration: one year, to be renewed upon positive performance evaluation.
Expected to travel 1 or 2 times/year.
Salary including holiday payment between € 47,040 and € 51,400 annually, depending on experience.
When recruited from abroad a relocation package will be offered.
Note that non-EU nationals recruited from abroad can benefit from the 30% ruling that allows expatriate employees to The Netherlands to earn up to 30% of their compensation tax free.
Participation in collective pension arrangement compulsory.
Please send your letter and CV to Wieke Wagenaar, FoEI Personnel Manager at vacancies[at]foei.org before 13 February 2015, 9.00 am Amsterdam time.
A first round of interviews is scheduled for February 19th, 2015.
As this is our 2nd call for this position we kindly request applicants from the 1st round not to re-apply.