You are here:
The Lithuanian Green Movement (LGM) was established by national environmental clubs, groups and activists in 1988. LGM coordinates activities and exchanges information between some 500 members all over Lithuania.
As the first post-Soviet environmental NGO in Lithuania, LGM played a significant role in the democratization process and in raising public awareness and participation on environmental issues in Lithuania. Today, LGM is one of the country's most active environmental NGOs, with the main strategies of influencing public policy, increasing public participation and raising public awareness about environmental protection and sustainable development.
LGM's main activities include:
- the protection of the Baltic Sea and its catchments
- the conservation of protected territories and natural landscapes;
- environmental education and the raising of public awareness about the environment and sustainable development;
- energy and the environment;
- transport and the environment;
- monitoring the activities of the International Financial Institutions in Lithuania;
- support for the development and strengthening of environmental NGOs and citizen's groups in Lithuania;
- environmental protection in general.
LGM publishes a bi-weekly newsletter called "Green Lithuania".