You are here:
0.8 fte - 30 hours - 4 days a week
Friends of the Earth International (FoEI) is seeking an International programmes Officer to work closely with two of FoEI's international programmes: Food Sovereignty (FS) and Forests and Biodiversity (F&B). The International Programmes Officer will be part of a small team, led by FoEI's International Programmes Facilitator, that supports implementation of programme activities and facilitates the planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning (PMEL) of the programmes.
FoEI's international programmes engage national member groups from around the world in a variety of strategies to achieve international policy and mobilisation goals. In the coming period FS and F&B programme priorities include: strengthening the food sovereignty movement and promoting agroecology, decreasing the power of agribusiness, recognition of the rights needed to implement community forest management, and working towards policy change that will reduce biodiversity loss.
The programmes are coordinated by International Programme Coordinators (IPCs) who are based in FoE member groups around the world. Each FoEI programme works closely with a steering group made up of member group representatives from across FoEI's geographical regions, who help oversee the work of the programme. As part of the programme structure the International Programmes Officer will work closely with the IPCs and steering group members, as well as national-level member groups funded by FoEI to implement work that contributes to programme objectives.
The programme officer will serve as grant manager for two multi-year grants that have been awarded to FoEI: one from Bread for the World (BftW), focused on food sovereignty programme objectives, and one from Bread for All-ProNatura (BFA-PN), which focuses on forest and biodiversity programme objectives. These programmes are also funded through the Fair, Green and Global (FGG) alliance and the Green Livelihoods Alliance (GLA), which are funded by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The International Programmes Officer will engage in processes related to all of these grants as needed on behalf of FoEI.
- Ensure that objectives and requirements for FoEI’s BftW and BFA-PN grants are met and manage donor relations for these two grants;
- Represent FoEI FS and F&B programmes as needed in the FGG and GLA alliances and in other funding processes, including taking part in discussions and activities related to planning, reporting, evaluation and learning;
- Support and improve the planning, monitoring, evaluation, learning and reporting processes for the two programmes;
- Work with the IPCs to support implementation of programme activities, including trainings, programme meetings, development of communications materials and lobby and advocacy efforts;
- Support the process of funding national member group work included in the programme plans, including monitoring the work;
- Monitor the budget for the programme activities, track expenses and follow up with IPCs, member groups, consultants and suppliers as needed;
- Work with the IPF and IPCs to ensure compliance with the requirements of the programme's funders, including development of gender-focused outcomes, monitoring of programme plans, and narrative reporting on programme outcomes and lessons learned.
- At least three years of experience in managing international or multinational projects, including experience with the planning, monitoring, evaluation, learning and reporting cycles;
- Affinity with the mission, vision, values and objectives of Friends of the Earth International, and with a theory of change that includes movement building strategies as well as lobby and advocacy strategies;
- Excellent strategic thinking and planning skills, with experience in applying these in a complex and shifting international context;
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and organisational skills;
- Proven writing skills; ability to summarise and distribute information quickly and succinctly;
- Strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work in collaborative decision-making processes in a global, decentralised environment and to manage and prioritise a variety of key initiatives concurrently;
- Experience working on lobby and advocacy campaigns and movement building tactics and strategies focused on environmental or social justice objectives (including addressing gender inequalities) would be an advantage;
- Excellent English language skills; fluency in Spanish or French would be a strong advantage. Ability to work in Dutch would also be an advantage;
- Valid EU work permit required.
What FoEI offers:
- We offer an opportunity to contribute to a better world and work for an inspiring international and culturally diverse network in an office with a small friendly team at a great location in Amsterdam.
- Full time salary between €3,457 and €4,048 monthly depending on experience and qualifications.
- Contract duration: 1 year initially, to be renewed upon positive performance evaluation.
- Participation in collective pension arrangement compulsory.
Please send your letter and CV before July 5, 2021 to Nina Ascoly;
e-mail: vacancies[@]foei.org with ''International Programmes Officer'' in the subject field.
Interviews will be held on July 26 -27th, 2021.
Friends of the Earth International is an equal opportunities employer. Diversity and inclusion are important values for FoEI. We encourage applications from people currently under-represented in the environmental justice movement.
FoEI follows the advice of the RIVM regarding the Corona virus. This is why the employees of FoEI are currently largely working from home. Our job interviews take place via video connections.
FoEI guarantees that we will handle your personal data with care. We will only use your personal data to process this application. In compliance with GDPR, we will keep your application in our protected files for a maximum of four weeks after the successful closure of this vacancy at which time the data will be destroyed, unless you give us permission to keep it longer.