Friends of the Earth International
Institute for Policy Studies
Mobilization for Global Justice
Press Conference Tuesday, September 24th, 12:30, Willard Hotel
Underscoring the growing demand from civil society around the world that the World Bank immediately stop funding socially and environmentally destructive projects, citizens from the Caspian region, Cameroon, and Romania will speak about the impact of oil and gold projects on their lives, communities, and lands.
New findings will be released which documents the impact of tens of billions of dollars in World Bank Group support for fossil fuels and mining over the last decade.
Activists will further describe their efforts later in the week to demand an end to World Bank financing of destructive oil, mining and gas projects.
Tuesday, September 24th, 12:30pm.
Willard Inter-Continental Hotel1401 Pennsylvania Avenue, NWThe Taft Room, Second Floor
- Samuel Nguiffo, Director of Center for Environment and Development, Goldman Environmental Prize Winner (Cameroon)
- Stephanie Roth, Albunus Maior (Romania)
- Manana Kochladze, Regional Coordinator for the Caucus Region, CEE Bankwatch Network, (Georgia)
- Carol Welch, Deputy Director of International Programs, Friends of the Earth
- Steve Kretzmann, Campaigns Director, Sustainable Energy & Economy Network
- Kate Loewe, Mobilization for Global Justice
- Nilton Deza, Ecovida (Peru)
Colleen Freeman, Friends of the Earth 202/257-0728
Steve Kretzmann, Institute for Policy Studies 202-497-1033